For the past eight years, United Way of Western Connecticut has partnered with The News-Times and nonprofit agencies to make the holiday season a little brighter for people who are facing severe challenges.
The Giving Fund profiles the cases of real people in our community who need a supporting hand to help them out of the financial crisis they’re in and help to change the trajectory of their lives. We are honored to serve as the pro-bono fiduciary of this program. 100% of the donation goes to help the person or family described in each case
HOW THE PROGRAM WORKS
- Nonprofit agencies submit stories of clients who have a specific need that can be addressed through a donation.
- United Way of Western Connecticut presents the cases to The News-Times, which presents five to six cases in the newspaper each week.
- Donors can designate their donation to a specific case or cases, or can make a general donation to the fund.
- Checks are issued to the agencies who then coordinate the donation with the client.
- No fee is taken by the United Way; 100% of donations go directly to the person or family in need.
All cases have been funded for the past eight years
$500,000 has been raised for families in need over the past eight years
One Giving Fund recipient said: “Just knowing that relief is on the way gives us a chance to catch up and gives us a way to stop the phone calls and stress of knowing that we will simply not have enough. When we moved into our house, we never anticipated the situation getting this difficult. I would imagine no one does. But knowing that United Way has come through to help us maintain that stability and structure for our kids really has made such a difference.”